Hello SAP S/4HANA Cloud Community,
this would be my first blog here, when I would like share some insight on how to simultaneously transfer multiple XML files with the S/4HANA Migration Cockpit. It should improve the throughput of the data load during migration.
Loading one large XML file may take up too much time and the system doesn't parallelize the processing by default. Therefore If you would like to achieve parallel processing keep reading! To introduce this functionality for your migration object, perform the following steps:
1. Instead of creating one big file, split your data in several (n) files.
2. Open fiori app "Migrate Your Data" and the object where you would like to introduce parallelization
3. Upload all (n) files and set the status to “active”
4. Click "Edit" and after label "Max. Data Transfer Jobs" enter a higher number (m) with m >= n.
The amount entered here will allow the system to trigger multiple jobs for data creation. Therefore if several files are being transferred at the same time, those will be processed by the system parallel if this attribute ("Max. Data Transfer Jobs") is also set. Please note that your system is configured with a certain number of available batch job processes. The migration cockpit will only allow up to 80% of these processes (number m) to be used for the migration object.
For each migration object, SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit will consume at least 2 batch-job processes. One for controller job or one for calculation job, and N for load jobs. (N is equal to "Max. Data Transfer Jobs" you have set for each migration object in migration cockpit).
Please note that your system is configured with a certain number of available batch job processes. The migration cockpit will only allow up to 80% of these processes (number m) to be used for the migration object.
If you split your big file into three files and you have set the "Max. Transfer data jobs" to value '3', the SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit will try to migrate all three files in parallel background jobs.
Restrictions to be kept in mind when using this functionality in your S/4HANA Cloud system:
- This feature is not supported for migration object "Cost Center" because of the hierarchy group creations.
- When splitting the data to multiple files bear in mind to meet the requirements listed in KBA 2719524 for the XML size limit.
- It is not recommended to migrate simultaneously with multiple objects using several projects as it will only occupy the job resources.
- In SAP S/4HANA Cloud the number of available batch processes is normally ~8 to 10 per instance.
- If you try to run several migration objects in parallel using multiple migration projects the system will run out of batch-job processes and will queue the jobs. The result will be that your migration run seems to stick at a low percentage level because jobs are waiting in the queue to be executed.
- Therefore don't try to run too many batch-jobs in parallel, it will not improve the performance.
SAP S/4HANA Cloud Product Support