Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional Area in Customer Project

Y_Iwasawa
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Community,

If the employee enters a time sheet for the customer project, the cost's functional area is YB25 (Consulting/Services).

The functional area of the cost center category and the functional area of the cost center don't seem to be related to it.

How is the functional area determined? Can I change it?

Thanks.

Yoshikazu Iwasawa

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ana_goncalves
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi iwasawa-yoshikazu,

As you mentioned, the functional area assigned to the cost center or cost center category does not have any impact on financial postings. The functional area is actually derived from the project profile. Functional area YB25 is assigned to both customer and internal project profiles, which is why this value is automatically picked up.

This assignment can be changed via BAdI Journal Entry Item Substitution (Business Context: Accounting: Journal Entry). Please find more info on this BAdI in the SAP Help Portal: https://help.sap.com/viewer/0fa84c9d9c634132b7c4abb9ffdd8f06/1905.500/en-US/6d95f6fa596646f59cfb9dd0...

Kind regards,

Ana

--------

23/Dec/2019:

BAdI Accounting Coding Block Substitution should be used instead (Business Context: Accounting: Journal Entry).

--------

29/March/2020:

It seems BAdI Accounting Coding Block Substitution is not working for timesheet entries and other accounting documents. Therefore, it is likely the functional area cannot be changed. An incident should be created for further investigation.

former_member599308
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi anaisa0 ,

According to my search, we can substitute functional area directly on GL account Level.

If we write specific condition with including G&L account , it will work.

Kind Regards,

vasanthkumarvm
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi
The link provided above is not working, you please share new link.
" The functional aera for customer projects will be YB25 which is default and delivered by SAP. We don't need to assign this anywhere in config."
Is my understanding correct.

Thanks and Regards
Vasanth

vasanthkumarvm
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Nigel_Grillet
Participant
0 Kudos

We're using the Coding Block Substitution for this. I cannot comment on the timesheet entry since this is a posting with secondary cost elements, that we're currently not using and may behave differently, but primary cost elements get posted fine in all financial documents. The only confusing part is that the update only happens at SAVE.

We also have a validation in place that blocks any of the YB** functional area postings.

FYI, we expected the same as you, for the FA to be derived from the cost center instead of the project profile (since we do not have access to maintain the FA on the project profile), but as you noted this is currently not the case (2002 and earlier versions).

ana_goncalves
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi nigel.grillet,

Thank you for your feedback!

Kind regards,

Ana

former_member599308
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I wrote below code but still YB25 is deriving when I post TimeSheet for customer projects.

What am I missing?

Business Context: Coding Block, Accounting Journal Entry

Thank you

Kind Regards,

ana_goncalves
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi resulsmsk_01,

We cannot comment on customer specific code. That being said, based on other users' experience on this thread, the functional area cannot be change via BAdI.

Kind regards,

Ana

former_member599308
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ana,

You mentioned below about this thread that "it is possible via subsitution" .

I have contradiction about this case and open a ticket. When I reach clear answer, I will share as well.

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

ana_goncalves
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi resulsmsk_01,

This thread is a bit long and, therefore, it may be hard to find information. I have just updated the best answer with the latest feedback we received from dimitriravagni about two months ago.

We thought BAdI Accounting Coding Block Substitution may fulfill this requirement. However, it seems it does not work for timesheet entries and other accounting documents, in which case it is likely that the functional area cannot be changed at all.

At the time we advised the user to create an incident for further investigation.

Kind regards,

Ana

0 Kudos

Hi Ana,

i have checked but in the BAdi Journal Entry Item Substitution (FIN_ACDOC_ITEM_SUBSTITUTION) it is not possible to change the functional area field,

because this field is not available in the output structure.

I have to use another BAdi?

Regards.

Dimitri

ana_goncalves
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi dimitri.ravagni,

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by "output structure". I see functionalarea available in parameter accountingdocitem. See screenshot attached.

Kind regards,

Ana

0 Kudos

Hi Ana,

I have tested and the substitution works in this way:

the fields in the accountingdocitem are available only for support.

But what you can change are only the fields in the accountingdocitemout structure, where there are no functional area .

See screenshot.

ana_goncalves
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

‎Hi dimitri.ravagni,

I'm discussing your question internally. I'll get back to you.

Kind regards,

Ana

ana_goncalves
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi dimitri.ravagni,

Please use BAdI Accounting Coding Block Substitution instead (Business Context: Accounting: Journal Entry).

Kind regards,

Ana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ana,

unfortunately the BAdI Accounting Coding Block Substitution doesn't work for all the processes, but only for the manual accounting documents of journal entries.

It doesn't work for timesheets entries or customer invoices.

Best Regards.

Dimtri

ana_goncalves
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi dimitriravagni,

Thank you for your input.

We thought this BAdI may fulfill your requirement. However, if this is not working for timesheet entries and other accounting documents, it is likely that the functional area cannot be changed.

I would advise you to create an incident for further investigation.

Kind regards,

Ana

Y_Iwasawa
Participant
0 Kudos

ccsmith , anaisa0

Thank you for the information.

I learned that the functional area is determined by the project profile.

The good news is that I can overwrite functional areas using BAdI. Useful for our projects.

Thank you.

Yoshikazu Iwasawa

former_member94298
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is that not just the functional area on the cost centre assigned to the project at header level?

That's certainly what flows through in the best practice config - so yes - simply assign a different cost centre on the project